announcement

Update: Check new design of our homepage!

Tick Bites on Dogs

Tick Bites on Dogs

Ticks are arachnids that can transmit diseases to your dog. As a pet owner, you should be able to identify tick bites on dogs. Here are the instructions you need to follow, if you find these parasites on your dog.
DogAppy Staff
Ticks are small parasites that feed on the blood of warm blooded animals, including dogs. These parasites flourish in warm and humid areas of the body. They are mostly seen at alarming rates in the period between May and September. However, this does not mean that your pet may not be a host in other seasons. These blood-sucking parasites cannot be easily spotted on dogs with a thick fur coat. Your dog might be able to remove them from the ears and paws, but it cannot do so for hard-to-reach places.

Symptoms

Dogs love to wander through grassy fields and woodlands, and in a way this is a good form of exercise. However, ticks or other insects may cling on to their body in the process, thereby causing an infection.

The bites may not be easily detected as the symptoms appear after 7-21 days or may be even after that. Therefore, it is necessary to keep a careful watch on your pet. An affected canine may display signs like fever, lethargy, and lack of energy. Other symptoms include pain in the limbs and body, depression, swelling of the joints, and lack of appetite. Your pet may face difficulty while walking. If you observe these symptoms in your pet, take it to a veterinarian to get a quick diagnosis.

Preventive Measures

You should check your pet for these parasites on periodic basis. You could trim the plants and mow the grass in your yard so that these parasites do not find places to hide. Pesticides can be sprayed in the outdoor areas, but ensure that they are safe for your canine. Repellents can be used to get rid of them. Using a tick collar might also be helpful.

Treatment
Ticks must be removed with the help of forceps or tweezers.
  • Pull the tick slowly with a pair of tweezers by applying a little pressure. Make sure that you pull it straight without any sort of twist.
  • Put it in a bottle containing alcohol. Do not forget to wash your hands with a disinfectant after removing it.
  • Finally, rinse the infected area with an antiseptic soap and rub it with a clean, soft towel.
  • Apply an antibiotic ointment to prevent a bacterial infection.
  • Check the area after a few days and apply cream if required. You can also consult a veterinarian.
Do take precautionary measures to prevent these parasites from harming your pet. If you notice these symptoms, consult a vet or follow the aforementioned steps at the earliest.