Pugs are small dogs that have originated in China. They are one of the oldest breeds of dogs that were popular even before 400 BC. They were kept as pets by the Buddhist monasteries of Tibet. Pugs then made an appearance in Japan and Europe. Their popularity reached its peak when they became pet dogs of Prince William II, who became the King of England.
Pugs are often described by a phrase multum in parvo, that is, 'a lot of dog in a small space'. Pugs have even tempers and playful personalities. They are outgoing and have loving dispositions. They have different coat colors like fawn, silver-fawn, apricot-fawn, or black. These square and cobby dogs have a signature 'mask' on their muzzle.
When choosing names for pugs, it is very important to choose a name that matches the personality of each individual dog. The name should be short and easily understandable. It should not only tell a lot about the dog, but also reflect the choice, taste, and style of the owner. The name should not be similar to a command like Fay (stay) or Rum (run), and should be mono or bisyllabic. It should not be similar to the name of any member or other pet of the family as it may create confusion. Given below are some good pug names and their meanings.
|Pouch||Small or big sack|
|Stumpy||Short, thickset person|
|Shorty||Less than average size|
|Buster||Someone who breaks something|
|Dash||To move in haste|
|Jerky||Type of cured meat or silly|
|Migraine||Someone who gives you a headache|
|Sniff||A short inhalation through the nose to investigate a smell|
|Tic Tac||Small, ovular, sweet candies|
|Wags||Move tail briskly side to side|
|Woofer||Loudspeaker that produces bass sounds|
|Xerox||A exact copy of something|
|Covell||Lives at the cave slope|
|Curt||Abbreviation of Curtis|
|Chimaka||God is splendid|
|Edward||Strong as a boar|
|Elton||From the old town|
|Aussie||Short for Australian|
|Bitty||Small, like fragments|
|Bow||Type of ribbon knot|
|Bubbly||Someone who is enthusiastic in nature|
|Chain||Someone connected with bonds|
|Liberty||Condition of being free|
|Spice||A spicy flavor added to food|
|Wuffy||Combination of something white and fluffy|
|Pixie||A playful, mischievous fairytale creature|
|Ashly||Meadow of ash trees|
|Dezarae||Very much desired|
|Betty||Devoted to God|
|Glenna||Of the glen|
- Pugs ranked #14 in the American Kennel Club's top 50 list of dog breeds for 2001.
- Pugs make wonderful companions for the elderly and are great pets for young children as well.
- Pugs like to have a good meal and a soft lap to sleep in.
- Males are couch potatoes and have a laid back attitude. Females are more alert and also more independent and aloof than males.
- Fawn-colored pugs have markings around the ears that cover their entire face.
- Fawn pugs are known for their excessive shedding.
- Black pugs are thought to have existed as early as the 1700s. A black pug was painted by William Hogarth in one of his paintings of House of Cards (1730).
- During warm months, pugs need a lot of air conditioning. They pant with their long tongues and noses, which provide them more cooling.
- Pugs have no cooling area and can die within 30 minutes in high temperatures and humid conditions.
- Pugs require regular grooming and care due to their habit of sniffing everything around them. They get dirt stuck in the wrinkles on their faces.
- Molly is the most common female pug dog name and Max is the most popular male pug dog name in America.
Pugs are cute and small animals and require care like any other dog. When you bring home a pug, keep it as you would keep a family member. This 'lot of dog in a small space' will create a lot of love and affection for itself in your heart.