The toy poodle is the smallest variety of poodles which interestingly, has a same length and height. Due to its unique structure, this breed of dog appears more or like a perfect square. Toy poodles have small round eyes that may be brown or black. One of the other interesting features of toy poodles is that these dogs come in a variety of colors ranging from black, white, silver to red, apricot, etc. If you have a pet toy poodle, then here are some effective tips and techniques on training it.
Toy Poodle Temperament
These dogs are very cute and lovable creatures (take a look at the poodle pictures and you will know why). Dogs belonging to the entire poodle breed are intelligent and hence, training them is a lot easier than training other breed of dogs. Secondly, the toy poodle is also cheerful and lively, and will actively participate in games and training activities. However, before training a toy poodle, one of the most important things to remember is that these dogs can suffer from small dog syndrome (also known as little dog syndrome or more like a superiority complex), if handled meekly. They can become snappy, demanding and sensitive if they develop this disorder. In order to prevent it, it is essential to train the pup firmly and at an early stage. Let us take a look at the tips on training toy poodles.
Tips to Train a Toy Poodle Puppy
- The crate training is the most effective toy poodle training methods. You should arrange for a crate, put a soft blanket into it and train your pet to stay in it when the pup is neither relieving itself, nor eating or playing.
- You should make sure that the crate is placed at such a place in the house where there is a lot of activity. This way, the pet will never feel lonely.
- One of the most important aspects of the training method is to potty train the pet. Make sure that you take the pet out for relieving itself at an early stage. When the poodle does it, reward the pup with a treat. Poodles learn a lot with the reward technique.
- Another important thing to remember is that poodles understand human emotions and translate it into stress. Therefore, when you are playing with your pet, make sure you are in a happy and lively mood in order to keep the poodle lively and cheerful.
- When training the pup to bring back a rubber ball, you should start by rolling the ball in front of the pet. Then take the ball in your hand and give it to the pup. Then take it from the pup, throw it at a shorter distance and tug at its collar to make the pet go to the ball and bring it back. As usual, verbally praise the dog or give it a treat when the mission is accomplished.
- When the pet barks, make sure you find out the reason for the barking before trying to stop it. If the pet is barking for no reason, make sure you firmly tell the pet to stop. Be firm and clear (but, do not shout). Doing this for a couple of times will train the dog to be quiet.
- Lastly, as mentioned above, these dogs are highly prone to suffering from small dog syndrome. Therefore, you should make sure that you train the pet to be obedient and teach commands like 'potty', 'sit', 'stop', etc., as early as possible.
Lastly, note that it is essential to firmly train toy poodles as early as possible in order to make them stable. Ciao!