Training can get easier when the owner or the trainer is well aware of the dog breed and their traits. Every dog breed comes with a different temperament and therefore they need to be trained in a certain manner. Some dog breeds are difficult to train, while some are easy. A dog's temperament counts for a lot while training. Stubborn or aggressive dogs, usually disobey commands which wastes a lot of time in training. A beagle is one such breed which is reluctant, but when trained, proves to be a great companion and brings great joy to their owners. Before learning how to toilet train, lets us take a close look at this breed and its characteristics.
A beagle is one of the hound types that resembles the foxhound breed. Dogs from the beagle breed are short and have a stiff body. Beagles were originally trained to retrieve or hunt down rabbits. Their excellent smelling and tracking skills have earned them the name detection dogs. Beagles are friendly, gentle and are a very intelligent dog breed. Being bred for detection purposes, these dogs are more independent and determined towards their duties. Known to have the best smelling sense, beagles quickly get distracted by smells which makes training a tough task. However, using some of their favorite treats can turn the training sessions satisfying.
Toilet Training Techniques
In case you have made up your mind in bringing a beagle pup home, then you might want to take up some tips on toilet training a beagle. Dogs do have the sense of keeping the environment clean, but being a pup this instinct is not well trained. Therefore, they tend to poop anywhere, if left unattended. Many owners even choose to crate train the pups to avoid cleaning the poop all the time. However, you can even select a poop place to avoid a messed up home.
- A pup will always show some signs before relieving itself. Hence, it is the owners responsibility to recognize these signs. Being a pup it is often going to poop after consuming its food. So, when the pup has eaten its meal, after 15-20 minutes, take the pup outside to the place where you want it to poop.
- After its first time, it is not necessary the little pup will remember its poop place. Therefore, the next time, when you notice the same signs, escort the pup to its poop place. Repeating this a few times will eventually help your pup remember the place and also it will understand that its owner wants it to go out to do its business.
- As beagles are good at responding to treats, some owners use them to toilet train their beagles. Using treats can even speed up the process of toilet training. However, dog treats should not always be used as it might affect the health of your pup and even put into a bad habit of expecting treats after pooping.
- In case during the toilet training process, the pup accidentally poops inside, the owner must gently lift the pup and take it outside to its poop place. Being aggressive and angry at the pup will create fear and effect the pup's temperament long term.
- It is important to always keep in mind that training puppies takes time and must be tackled carefully. Therefore, the owner has to maintain patience and be determined in even toilet training a beagle pup.
Many owners also rely on crates as they provide security and can be placed inside as well as outside the house. Crates come handy when the pup is going to be left alone. However, crate training might take a little bit more time than training the pup to poop outside.
- Beagles weigh around 30 lbs and are short . Therefore, considering the weight and height, select a crate for your pup.
- Select an appropriate place for the crate. It can be kept either outside or inside, in an appropriate place.
- In the beginning, place the pup inside the crate about 15-20 minutes after it has eaten.
- Use a command such as Potty when you take it to its crate. Repeating the command and gesture will eventually make the pup understand and obey the owner.
Beagles are clever dogs, but sensible training can stop them from behaving reluctant and stubborn. Enjoyable training that involves their favorite treats can even develop a strong bond between you and the beagle pup. So now, you can use these techniques to speed up the training process.