Diabetes mellitus does not only affects humans, but is also seen in canines. It's a condition wherein the body fails to produce sufficient insulin for synthesis of glucose. Insulin serves many vital functions in the body, like controlling production of glucose by liver, storing energy, etc., so, it is but obvious that its deficiency or absence can adversely affect the health of your dog. While this condition can be controlled with medication and insulin injections, homemade dog food has also proved particularly effective in controlling it.
Homemade Dog Food for Diabetes Control
Just like humans, even dogs are at increased risk of aggravating their condition if proper attention is not paid to their diet. Processed foods with refined sugar and high fat foods can worsen your dog's diabetes. Hence, as soon as your dog is diagnosed with diabetes, you should alter his diet to his control sugar levels. Carbs intake should be reduced, as they directly get converted into glucose or sugar. Your vet should be able to guide you regarding what foods are permissible for your dog and what foods should be avoided. Some vets may recommend commercial dog foods that are specifically formulated for diabetic dogs, while a few may have their own products for sale.
Nonetheless, you can manage to lower your dog's blood sugar levels by making appropriate changes to his diet by resorting to homemade food alone. Here is what you can do about your dog's diet.
- Feed him lots of fresh fruits and raw vegetables. Raw foods are better at stimulating pancreas to produce insulin as compared to processed foods. Vegetables such as alpha sprouts, parsley, carrots, green beans, broccoli, and cauliflower can be given raw. Others like winter squash, dandelion greens, and potatoes can be cooked and served. These vegetables are really good for diabetic dogs. While giving fruits, you need to make sure that you do not combine main meals, like meat and grains, with fruits. They are best served as mid-meal snacks.
- Give your dog lots of garlic, either fresh or in capsule form. Garlic is a great remedy for high sugar levels. Besides, it also regulates their digestive function.
- While it is alright to give raw meat, make sure it is lean and hygienic. Chicken, lean turkey, and lean pork can be served. Stay away from ground beef and any other types of red meat.
- Incorporate lots of dairy products, like low-fat cottage cheese, yogurt, etc., in their diet. Milk products and vegetables reduce acid levels due to their alkaline properties.
- Fish and eggs can be given raw. Again, make sure it is hygienic.
- Also include whole grains, like pearl barley, brown rice, etc., in their diet.
Simple Homemade Dog Food Recipe
As we said earlier, it is always better to feed raw foods to a diabetic dog. However, certain foods, such as meat for instance, are best fed cooked. Take 1 cup boiled lean meat, 1 cup cooked whole grain (brown rice or pearl barley), and 1 cup chopped raw vegetables (you can choose any of the above mentioned veggies). Mince meat and mix it with whole grain. Add veggies and a serving of cottage cheese (around ¼ cup) and give it to your dog to eat. You are free to alter this recipe as per your choice. Just make sure you have one part meat, one part whole grain, one part raw veggies, and a quarter part of some milk product.
You also have the choice of going for commercial dog foods that are formulated for diabetic dogs. However, while choosing diabetic dog food, make sure you stay away from moist, soft foods as they are rich in carbs. Instead, you can opt for dry, canned variety. And don't forget to check the labels to know its sugar content.