Nutrition plays as important part in the life of dogs as it does in the life of human beings. Are you aware that dogs too, suffer from a variety of health problems, which are caused due to improper nutrition. Therefore, in order to protect your pet dog from serious health conditions, you should make sure that it is fed with proper and healthy food.
Dog Nutrition Facts
Dogs are usually classified as omnivores, i.e., they can be herbivores (vegetarian) as well as carnivores (non-vegetarian). Although you may feed your dog with food gotten only from plant source, you should remember that dogs are basically carnivores and hence, including meat in their diet is essential.
- Similar to human beings, the daily meal of dogs should be rich in vitamins and minerals. When buying dog food, it is essential to check the labels and buy only those products that are fortified with vitamins and minerals.
- Ideal dog food should contain carbohydrate, proteins, fats, fibers, vitamins, minerals, etc.
- Puppies should be fed with food that is high in carbohydrate and proteins. When buying dog food, you should buy only those that contain meat, eggs or any animal based proteins.
- When talking about the foods that should not be fed to dogs, note that foods like Macadamia nuts, preserved food, spoiled food, foods containing artificial sweetener; alcoholic beverages, marijuana, any human vitamin or mineral supplements, etc., should be avoided.
- You should also limit your dog's intake of sweets as it can also lead to obesity and disorders related to it. Look for dog biscuits that have less amount of sugar; and feed just 1-2 dog biscuits a day. You should also remember that artificial sweeteners are a total no-no.
- The size and age of the dog should be taken into consideration before buying dog food. For e.g., the energy or activity level of puppies is large and hence, they require a large amount of food. On the other hand, adult dogs require less and the adult dog food should be low in fats to avoid obesity.
- It is wise to monitor the weight changes in the dog while feeding. This way, it is easier to know how much should your feed your dog; and increase or decrease the quantity accordingly.
- Facts on dog nutrition suggest that you should feed your dog only food that is meant for dogs. Feeding it cat food will not fulfill its requirement and can also be harmful.
- Dog food is available in three basic varieties, wet, semi-dry and dry. All the types are similar in their nutritional value and hence, you can choose from either of them. However, it is essential to check the ingredients before buying them.
- As there are several brands of dog food available in the market, you can take your pick or even switch from one brand to the other to find the best one. However, when switching food brands, make sure that you do not abruptly change the brand, as it can lead to indigestion.
You should slowly introduce it to the dog, by firstly, mixing it with the previous brand (50-50%) and then switching completely to the new brand.
- Nutritious and healthy dog food is definitely going to be expensive. It is recommended to not substitute good quality food for cheaper versions as the cheaper versions contain low quality ingredients which can lead to health disorders.
- Lastly, another important dog food nutrition facts is that along with food, water is also important and hence, you should provide your pet with plenty of fresh and clean water every day.
These were some of the important facts that one is supposed to know of if he has a pet dog or is thinking of having one. Lastly, if you observe any symptoms like irritability, lack of energy, etc., on having any type of food, you should take the pet to the vet immediately.