It is in your best interest to get a health insurance for your dog. Wondering how much it will cost you? Well, why don't you read on to find out all about it.
We don’t quite agree with the age-old adage, ‘dogs are man’s best friend’. No! We think that, they are not man’s best friends, but are true friends. They are the ones who will never leave you, no matter what. They will love you and be your companion for life.
But just like humans and all other living things, even dogs suffer from various illnesses. Some of these illnesses are so serious that their treatment can cost you a fortune, and this is where dog health insurance comes into the picture.
Why Your Dog Needs Insurance?
Like us, even dogs suffer from various health issues, like broken leg, worms, fleas, ear problem or maybe even cancer. Often, the cost for their treatment and medication goes through the roof. Hence, the need for health insurance. It is just like the health insurance of humans. It helps to protect your dog from illnesses and you from veterinary bills.
Here’s a list of certain things that the insurance covers:
- If your dog is lost or someone steals it.
- Any injuries caused due to some accident.
- Long-term disease or illness
- Mercy killing
- Routine checkups
- Allergies and dental problems
Additionally, some plans cover the harm your dog causes to the third party, i.e., if it bites or injures someone.
How does Pet Health Insurance Work?
After you fill in the insurance form, you have to pay a small fee every month in order to cover your dog’s health. So, if your dog becomes sick and needs medical attention, then the insurance company will take care of all the medical expenses. You can get these forms in the veterinary hospitals or find them online.
How Much Do You Have to Pay?
The insurance cost, of course, depends on several factors. The whole insurance usually starts at around USD 25 (the average cost is around USD 42.5). The premium varies on the basis the policy you choose, dog breed, and the dog’s age.
- Coverage Limits: The coverage limit of most of the dog insurance companies is usually in the range of USD 2500 to USD 25,000. Some insurance companies even provide unlimited coverage.
- Deductibles: The deductibles vary from around USD 100 to USD 1,000 depending on the given factors.
- Bill Covered: The insurance companies will not cover the entire bill. Most of these companies cover around 70 to 90 percent of the total bill. There are certain things which the companies will not cover, such as hereditary and genetic disease, injuries due to dog fights, or injuries acquired while working as guard dogs, and some preexisting illness.
- Monthly Expense: The monthly expense of most of the insurance companies is usually around USD 25 to USD 100 or more (in case of senior dogs), which is not much for your dog’s wellbeing.
Before you apply for an insurance, make sure that you go through the reviews. This will tell you which insurance plan is right for you. If you really love your dog, then don’t think twice about spending a bit more on getting your dog insured.