Diarrhea is a common health problem in dogs. You can try some dog diarrhea treatments at home to help your pooch get some relief.
Dogs commonly suffer from diarrhea problem which might be caused due to various reasons. Most common cause of diarrhea in dogs is known to be food consumed by them. Eating garbage or other bacteria-filled items might lead to this dog health problem.
If your dog is suffering from diarrhea, it is easy to notice the same. Lose, liquid and frequent bowel movements, mucous in the stools are common signs of diarrhea in dogs. It can be painful and you can see a change in your dog’s behavior. All you need to do is a proper dog diarrhea treatment and help him have relief from this health problem. There are many ways to cure this dog illness and some of these remedies are mentioned below.
1. The best home remedy is to keep him on fasting for a day. This will help cure the problem as his gastrointestinal tract gets some rest and time to recover. Next day you can give him a bland diet. This can include one part of boiled skinless white-meat chicken and two parts cooked rice. Remember to give him small quantity of this every four hours. If your dog again suffers from diarrhea after this, take him to a vet.
2. Diarrhea leads to dehydration so you must make sure that he drinks a lot of water. As the ingested food is flushed out of his body quickly, much little water is absorbed in his lower intestines, leading to dehydration. So, place bowls of fresh clean water at places so that he keeps drinking water and stays hydrated.
3. After 24 hours of fasting, you can give your dog a broth of vegetables, rice and small quantity of meat or a bone. This will help in replacing the water, sodium and potassium that might be lost due to diarrhea.
4. Canned pureed pumpkin is one of the best treatment. Pumpkin works wonders for problem of diarrhea in dogs. It helps cure diarrhea in dogs within a few hours of consuming it. Depending upon the size of your dog, give a few teaspoons everyday if your dog is small and give a few tablespoons if your dog is large.
5. After putting your dog on fast for 24 hours you can next feed him some light food. Give him one of these – boiled chicken/ boiled turkey/ boiled or scrambled egg/ boiled or baked potato. Remember to skip seasonings, oils, butters in his food up to 3-5 days. Also, give this food in small quantities 4 times a day. Go on gradually increasing the quantity.
6. You can give him plain yogurt or cottage cheese which will add some good bacteria to his bowels, after 24 hours of fasting. Slowly start feeding him the regular dog food. Do this by adding small amounts of it to his bland diet.
7. Another good home treatment is mixing 1½ cups of cooked white rice or same amount of potato with 1½ cup of cottage cheese. Before using, remove the liquid from cottage cheese. Try this feed for your dog after 24 hour of fasting, give it in small quantity, 4-5 times a day along with other bland diet.
The above mentioned treatment options will help him get rid of the problem in 1-2 days. If you do not see any improvement in dog’s health condition even after 48 hours, you must take him to a vet. Your vet will prescribe the right treatment. He might also give some essential nutritional supplements.
Remember to take him to a vet if the diarrhea problem continues or worsens even after giving bland food. You must also limit his physical activities till he recovers, as diarrhea leads to weakness. Also, confirm from the vet what food your dog need to be fed regularly.