If you happen to be a dog person, then it's no news that dogs are not just great companions, they are our best friends. Coming to our aid in various ways, dogs are capable of performing different tasks when needed.
Apart from pet dogs and show dogs, these furry animals are often used as working dogs where they are specially trained and disciplined to perform important tasks. You must've seen or heard about utilizing dogs for herding cattle and hunting.
Well, that's not all these dogs can do. And truth be told, you'll be surprised to find out that in so many ways, we use dogs to assist us in different jobs. So on that note, here is some information on some of the best dogs that help us in every which way.
Types of Working Dogs
As you saw the list, there are many breeds that qualify in the working dogs category. But one question still remains, "What kind of work are these dogs subjected to?" Apart from being kept as pets, humans find more and more ways to use them in versatile tasks each year. Here are some duties that dogs are given:
- Cadaver Dogs ~ These dogs are also known as Human Remains Detection dogs as they are trained to pick up scents that helps us discover human remains on crime scenes, accident or disaster areas, and accidents.
- Canine Mascot Dogs ~ Accompanying teams (sports or otherwise) to support them in various activities and doing a little advertising as well.
- Detection Dogs ~ These dogs are used for different kinds of jobs such as sniffing bags at the airports, detecting bombs or chemicals, and other illegal substances.
- Fighting Dogs ~ As the name suggests, fighting dogs are used for entertainment and sports purposes such as dog fighting. People often gamble at such events to make money.
- Fire Dogs ~ These dogs are trained to assist fire department officials during various tasks.
- Guard Dogs ~ Often known as watch dogs, guard dogs aid humans in protecting their property. These dogs are also used for patrolling in security firms and the military.
- Herding Dogs ~ For cattle herders and shepherds, herding dogs are nothing short of a savior. From guarding the flocks to herding them to controlling wild geese, herding dogs can do it all. They are trained to take care of domestic and wild animals.
- Hunting Dogs ~ People often train dogs to assist them during hunting wild animals and tracking them through their scents. Hunting dogs are picked because of their strong sense of smell.
- Performing Dogs ~ Also known as circus dogs or acting dogs, performing dogs are specially trained to carry out various acts that entertain people.
- Police Dogs ~ These K9 Unit dogs are trained to track and immobilize criminals. Police dogs help officers make arrests and investigate a crime scene.
- Rescue Dogs ~ As the name suggests, these dogs assist human beings who are stuck in dangerous situations such as drowning.
- Search Dogs ~ People who go missing at times during camping, hiking, or skiing are located by search dogs. These dogs also search people who are buried under avalanches or collapsed buildings.
- Service Dogs ~ People who have different disabilities use service dogs for various tasks such as mobility, vision (guide dogs), hearing, etc.; these dogs will help people carry out daily activities with ease.
- Sled Dogs ~ There are various ways sled dogs are used. Most importantly, they are used for sporting events (tobogganing), but often times sled dogs assist in the transportation of people and supplies in snowy regions.
- Therapy Dogs ~ These dogs come to our aid when people are in some way unable to move voluntarily. Also, therapy dogs entertain and cheer senior citizens in the hospitals and retirement homes.
- Tracking Dogs ~ When people or animals go missing, tracking dogs are used to sniff their scents and find them. Tracking dogs also help track down certain criminals.
- War Dogs ~ Often known as K9 Corps, these dogs are specially trained by the armed forces to assist them during various missions like detecting mines and bomb wires.
List of Working Dog Breeds
To train dogs, the buck doesn't stop at disciplining them or putting them through intense training. These dogs also require a lot of affection, care, and physical activity so that they can stay alert while doing their specified tasks. Here, you will see the different types of dog breeds that are more commonly used for various jobs.
- Portuguese Water Dog
These were some of the best working dogs that are bred and trained to their best abilities. Their strength and courage is never overlooked and because of their relentless efforts, we can save hundreds and thousands of lives.