Are Grapes Bad for Dogs? Find Out Here

Are Grapes Bad for Dogs?
Many dog owners claim that grapes are good for dogs as their dogs like grapes! But are grapes really bad for dogs or is this just a myth? Read on to find out...
Most of us think, that all fruits and vegetables are good and safe for dogs, but that is not the case. There are few fruits and vegetables which may have fatal effects on your pet. Grapes are one of them. According to the clinical findings by the Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) which is run by American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), ingestion of grapes or raisin can be fatal for dogs, though the mechanism of toxicity is yet not known.
Clinical Research and Probable Causes
Basque sheepherd dog smelling some grapes
Dogs show symptoms like renal failure (kidney failure) and incapability in passing urine after eating grapes. So it is said that grapes are toxic to dogs. How they are toxic is not known, however based on the symptoms, some conclusions are drawn. One of the symptom is that dogs are unable to urinate. One of the causes of disability in passing urine can be non-filtration of toxins that the grapes contain. Animal Poison Control Center has also advised people not to feed grapes to dogs.
In a case study, out of 140 dogs who ingested grapes, almost 47 showed symptoms like food poisoning and kidney failure whereas 7 died.
There is a steep rise in the levels of calcium, creatinine and phosphorous in the dogs who consumed grapes. The increase is so fast that it should be taken into control as soon as possible. Doctors think that the probable reasons behind the toxic effects of grapes can be pesticides, heavy metal like zinc and lead, fungal contamination, etc. High content of sugar can also be a probable cause. As nothing is proved yet, we still don't know the exact reason behind the toxicity of grapes.
Symptoms
If large amounts of grapes are ingested by the dog, symptoms like diarrhea and vomiting are immediately seen. Abdominal pain is also observed. The feces of the dog will contain undigested grapes and they will be unable to pass urine. Some behavioral changes are also observed. The dog will become weak and lethargic. Loss of appetite and signs of discomfort will be clearly seen. This condition require immediate medical attention as it may cause kidney failure which may lead to a painful death.
Treatment
Rush to your vet as soon as the symptoms are seen. Besides that, induce vomiting in the dog, as this will help in removing the toxins. Activated charcoal will absorb the toxins in the dog's body, so it should be given to the dog. The vet will keep the dog on intravenous fluid therapy for two days. This will reduce the risk of renal failure.
Foods toxic to dogs
The best way to stay away from grapes toxic effects is to avoid giving grapes to your pets completely. Keep grapes and raisins out of reach of your pet. You should also avoid feeding products like cookies, biscuits, chocolate or any other snack as it may contain raisins. Make every member in your family aware about the effects of grapes on dogs.
Dog
Staffordshire Bull Terrier Dog On Chair
Spoiled Dog
Resting Dog Cuba
Baby Dog
Pug Dog